10 THINGS TO DO TO STOP SWELLING WHILE FLYING
10 THINGS TO DO TO STOP SWELLING WHILE FLYING
Why does flying cause swollen feet swollen legs and swollen ankles?
During plane travel, it is very common to swell in the legs and feet. This mainly happens because our body is inactive while we are travelling. When you sit with your feet on the floor for a long period of time, it increases the pressure in your leg veins, which leads to swelling. Edema is a condition wherebywhich an excess of watery fluid collects in the cavities/tissues of your body parts, whereas lymphedema is a medical term for swelling that generally occurs in at least of your legs and/or arms.
You are more likely to sit in one position in an airplane with your feet on the floor for a longer period of time than at the office or in your home where it's comparatively easier to shift position, stretch and stroll frequently. If left untreated Edema/Swelling can be dangerous and can be caused by both serious and non serious conditions so it is important to see a doctor to rule out anything serious.
What to avoid doing before flying?
If you want to stop the swelling while flying, then you can do different things to prevent it:
- Always wear clothes that fit loosely. Also when you are in flight, wear comfortable loose shoes.
- Before and during your flight, drink plenty of water.
- Avoid sleep aids and alcohol as it might reduce your ability to take stretching breaks and safely move around the plane's cabin not too mention alcohol can cause dehydration and make swelling worse.
- Just before boarding, take an aspirin to support good circulation or a natural diuretic anti-inflammatory supplement like SwellNoMore that reduces swelling.
Items to always carry when you fly if you are prone to swelling
If you have recently gone through any surgery or have any other medical condition that make you more susceptible to poor blood circulation and edema, then it is recommended to wear compression stockings while you fly and check with your doctor to make sure you are cleared to fly.
These stockings fit comfortably on your legs as well as help in keeping your blood from pooling in your limbs. It can be a bit difficult to put on compression stockings, thus, it is better to practice before your flight. You can also put these garments on in your hotel or at home before you head to the airport. Compression socks come in a variety of compression sizes , therefore, it is best to check with your doctor to decide what compression size would be best for you.
10 Things to do that can help alleviate and or cure swelling while traveling
While you are travelling, it is essential to keep your blood flowing in every part of your body. Following are some of the tips to follow to cure swollen feet and/or swollen legs during air travel.
- The day before you travel, it is important to take care of your diet. You need to avoid salt, as it leads to water retention, resulting in more swelling.
- Before your flight, try to drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration. When you drink plenty of water, there will be a need to urinate more frequently which is good because this will give you an excuse to keep your body moving while on the plane.
- Get up and walk around during the flight as many times as possible. This will aid in proper blood circulation and reduce swollen ankles, legs and feet.
- Make sure to keep your bags overhead while you are on the plane. You may feel cramped if you will sit in an awkward position because of a shortage of space.
- It is better to sit on an aisle seat. This is because it makes easier for you to get up and walk around or stretch out and you will get more space to keep your feet comfortable. Besides, there are also emergency row seats and bulkhead seats (located in the frontof the plane) which offer space for you to stretch your legs.
- Massaging your feet is another way to reduce swelling and stimulate blood flow. Simply take off your shoes and massage your feet every once in a while. This will also relax your body.
- There is nothing better than exercise. Even if you do not get the chance to get up and walk around, you can move your feet by performing different foot exercises. Move your toe side to side and up and down to get your feet moving or move them in a circle.
- Never cross your legs when you are sitting on a plane. This is because the blood circulation is already slow in your body because you are sitting constantly in the same position. Crossing your legs will make it worse.
- Always wear suitable footwear which is recommended by doctors as well as compression socks. You can also wear slip on shoes while travelling. These shoes can be removed easily, thus you can exercise as well as massage your feet more easily.
- Soak your feet in an Epsom salt solution to reduce swelling before you fly.
Pharmaceuticals for swelling
If swelling is mild, then it should go away on its own. However, severe swelling requires immediate attention of doctors. You can treat edema by taking drugs that aid in expelling excess fluid in the form of urine. Lasix is a common medicine given to people experiencing swollen feet and/or swollen ankles.
Pharmaceutical Side Effects
However, this drug has some common and some serious side effects as well, which you may experience after long term use. These include:
- Increased urination
- Stomach pain
- Spinning sensation
- Rash or itching
- Muscle cramps
Other serious side effects include the following
- Unexplained weight loss
- Loss of appetite
- Abnormalities in electrolytes
- Dark urine
Natural treatments for swelling
- Buy compression socks
- Drink lots of water daily
- If you are overweight, then lose weight to avoid swelling
- Massage your feet, legs and ankles regularly
- Eat foods that are high in magnesium, such as avocados, broccoli, dark chocolate, spinach, cashews, tofu and almonds
- Try a Natural Diuretic Anti-Inflammatory Supplement Like SwellNoMore
Natural Supplements For Swelling
Swelling while traveling is common and can happen to anyone due to a number of reasons. However, the good news is swelling can be treated naturally by taking a natural diuretic Anti-Inflammatory like SwellNoMore. SwellNoMore contains 17 Natural Ingredients and has been Doctor Recommended since 2011. So what are you waiting for? Go and grab your bottle now and enjoy your upcoming flights free from swelling. Try SwellNoMore Today and see how our clients use SwellNoMore to naturally treat their swelling feet and legs you can see SwellNoMore client testimonials for yourself here !